Monday, August 29, 2011

Looking into the Past: Washington, D.C. Then and Now

The other day I heard about a group on Flickr called Looking Into the Past, where people go to the original site of a vintage photograph and take a new photo there. Here's my favorite example:

Looking Into the Past: March on Washington, August 28, 1963

Amazing, isn't it?

Since we just visited the most historical place in the United States, Washington, D.C., I was drawn to jasonepowell's Flickr photostream which is filled with amazing shots of how things have changed in D. C., like the above photo from the March on Washington in 1963.

What draws me to these photos is the feeling of standing in the exact spot where so many others before you have stood, seeing the same (but different) scene, and thinking about what else has happened there that wasn't photographed.

Here are some more of my favorites. As usual, click on the photo for a link to the original photograph as well as a description.

Looking Into the Past: Doing the Charleston at the Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC

Looking Into the Past: Union Station Square, Washington, DC

Looking Into the Past: Capitol Cornucopia, Washington, DC

Looking Into the Past: Summertime at Tidal Basin, Washington, DC

Looking Into the Past: Newsies, US Capitol

Thanks again to jasonepowell on Flickr for these amazing photos that allow us to look back in time at a city that means so much to our country.

5 comments:

  1. How cool!!
    Whenever I visit historical place I always wonder about what it was like in the past...
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Have a lovely day!
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is such a cool and well executed idea. I dont very often browse Flickr, and often feel I am missing out.. looks like I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cool, especially for us who live so close to DC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! It is just amazing to see the old and new images together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the contrast between the past and the present!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*