Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How to Cut a Pineapple - Tutorial

I used to not like pineapple. It's wasn't the taste, it was those gross hard chunks that you have to chomp through. Then, while living in Hawaii a few years ago, I realized that if you cut a pineapple right, you can easily cut out all the hard parts. Hence, this tutorial.


This tutorial may seem silly to some of you who have been cutting pineapples for years, and it's only one of many ways to cut a pineapple. But this method works great and if you've never bought or cut your own pineapple, I hope you'll feel ready to tackle one now!


What you need to cut a pineapple:


a pineapple =)
a big, sharp knife
a cutting board

First, you want to get rid of the two ends of the pineapple. Lay the pineapple on its side and chop off the top and the bottom.


Turn the pineapple onto one of the ends and cut into quarters, right through the center.


Now you want to get rid of the hard middle part. Set aside three of the four quarters for now. While still standing on one end, cut the corner (the middle) off at an angle. Try not to cut too much off but make sure that you've gotten rid off all of the hard part by stabbing into it at several points. The knife should slip right in and out. Trim extra if necessary.


Now cut the quarter into half again while it's still standing on one end. Put aside one of the two sections for now. You'll be working with this eighth of a pineapple from now on.

Trim off the skin of the pineapple by getting as close as you can to the edge while still removing most of those weird brown pock-marks.


I like my pineapple slices really small, so after laying it back down on its side, I cut the pineapple lengthwise again (now it's 1/16th of a pineapple), then slice into chunks.


Now go back to your other quarters and cut them all up in the same way. You'll end up with about 6 cups of chopped pineapple.

There will be a lot of waste but it's inevitable when cutting a pineapple, unfortunately.


If you want to feel a little bit better about how much you're wasting, plant the pineapple top in the ground. That's how they grow!


Mmm, now you can enjoy fresh chopped pineapple instead of the canned stuff.


What is your favorite way to eat pineapple?

16 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! Love pineapple! We don't get many pineapples here in our stores that you have to cut. We can get canned or fresh that's already been cut. I never buy the canned unless I'm using it in a recipe. I could sit there all day and just eat pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I love fresh pineapple, but they're such a pain to cut. I'll have to try your technique next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it look easy! I may have to get brave and try it. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good pineapple. I'm jealous that you lived in Hawaii. That is one place I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I cut it almost the same way, though not so thought out :) I really feel bad about the enormous pile I have to throw out in the end.

    I would appreciate a tutorial on how to plant the top as well. I have tried several times and it is not working, so I figure out there must be something I'm not doing right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I love pineapple too - the most unusual way I like to eat it is on pepperoni pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous tutorial! I rarely eat pineapple even though I like it, hubby doesn't like it, and I never buy it but if I ever do, now I know the proper way to cut it!

    Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party. I shared this on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pineapple. So yummy. Thanks for linking up!
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing!! that made it easier! I would love you to link up at Tell me Tuesday!!!
    thanks
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to seem rude, but this seems like it's complete waste of a perfectly good pineapple. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found this in case anyone is interested in planting your pineapple top:

    http://www.dole-plantation.com/Growing

    Note that they say to TWIST the pineapple top off, whereas most people say to cut it like I showed you above.

    The New Witty's, This is the most efficient way I've found to cut a pineapple. Do you have a method you can share with us to reduce the waste?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another way to plant them is to twist the top off and soak the end in water and you should get some roots in a week or so. We did that when we lived in Hawaii and my MIL does it with all of hers that she brought back to the mainland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think pineapples would grow in Nebraska, but at least I feel more confident in handling the fresh ones that we can occasionally find in our grocery stores on the prairie. LOVE pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! I got a pineapple the other day and have been wondering how I was going to cut it. Tried this and it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saved this post to Pinterest last August, because I thought it would come in handy one day (I'd never cut a pineapple) - and it did. I came back to your post this morning to tackle my first pineapple! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Tutorial .. i love Pineapple

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*