Saturday, April 30, 2011

Homemade Tortilla Chips Recipe

What goes better with homemade guacamole than tortilla chips? This Cinco de Mayo, make them both from scratch!

Homemade tortilla chips by SweeterThanSweets

If you've never had homemade tortilla chips, they are so yummy but taste very different than the store-bought kind. A little more chewy and a lot less salty (but you won't miss the sodium!)

Ingredients:

Tortillas by cbertel
Image: cbertel

corn tortillas
olive oil
sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brush tops of tortillas lightly with olive oil. Layer 4-5 tortillas, oiled side up. Cut into eighths with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.


Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle a bit of freshly ground sea salt on top. Cook for 12 minutes.


Pour the chips onto some paper towels to cool (if you can wait that long). If you're not going to eat them immediately, store in a zip-top bag. When you're ready to dig into that guacamole, crisp them up again by putting them back into the 350 degree oven for a few minutes.

Guacamole and Tortilla Chips by SweeterThanSweets

20 comments:

  1. Those look really good! Great idea for Cinco de Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering and I am so going to try this recipe - bookmarking now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Thanks for this :)

    Come check out my blog...

    www.heartfeltmama.blogspot.com

    Rebecca (Handmaiden Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha, been waiting for this, thanks:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tricia!! I am Betty Domanski's friend, Bri! We met up ages ago for lunch while Betty was in Charlotte visiting me! I just saw the link to your blog & etsy shop on her blog and am SO glad I clicked over! Your blog and shop are ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to order some hairbands for my daughter! fyi... we are living in West Chester, PA now and since seeing you a couple years ago, we had another baby, a little boy this time. :)

    Hope all is well! I absolutely love this homemade tortilla chip idea by the way. My husband would LOVE IT!

    ~Bri~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Have to give it a try, Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome everyone!

    Bri, I'm glad you found me and my Etsy shop! I remember you and your shop is one of my Etsy faves already. =) Going to check out your blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, thanks for sharing....I do not like guacamole, but I had fresh made in front of me at a upscale Mexican restaurant and it was awesome! I will make this at home, it sounds yummy...hope your week is fabby!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great and I bet they tasted great too! Yum! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks Yummy! Coming here from Circle of Moms

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're welcome. Try them out if you haven't yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Tricia! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda, I'm so glad you made them and like them! I can't stop eating them once they come out of the oven. =)

    Thanks SJ! Just linked up to my Homemade Fruit Leather post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought these looked so AMAZING that ai featured these on my blog.

    Here is the link: http://culturecottage.blogspot.com/search/label/Mexico

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wanting to try these for a while now. I just made them and used garlic salt instead of sea salt for more flavor and they are so good. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle a bit of freshly ground sea salt on top. Cook for 12 minutes. mens chains chile , mens chains germany

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you struggling with what time of day to exercise? Although there will be slight differences in sports at different time periods. But maybe you really don't need to be overly entangled. The best time to exercise is now, come and get started with NIKSA activewear sets.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*