Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Places Every Kid Should See

Grand Canyon by Liz Noffsinger
The Grand Canyon
Image: Liz Noffsinger

I've been working on a 4-part series for my blog on Tips for Traveling with Toddlers and Babies and I came across this article and this article on places in America that every kid should see. Here's a list of some of the places they recommended:

  • Grand Canyon, AZ
  • Redwood National Park, CA
  • Monticello, VA
  • The Freedom Trail, MA
  • Niagara Falls, NY
  • The National Mall, D.C.
  • Colonial Williamsburg, VA
  • Walt Disney World, FL
  • Ellis Island, NY
  • Yellowstone National Park, WY/ID/MT
  • San Diego Zoo, CA
  • Fenway Park, MA
  • Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve, ID
  • Alcatraz Island, CA
  • Independence Hall, PA

    Alcatraz Island by Paul Martin Eldridge
    Alcatraz Island
    Image: Paul Martin Eldridge

    I caught the travel bug when I was 20, so just reading this list makes me want to pack a suitcase or two! But I couldn't believe they forgot to include a few of my favorite family-friendly travel spots. Here are my suggestions to add to the list:

    • Yosemite National Park, CA
    • Route 66, CA/AZ/NM/TX/OK/KS/MO/IL
    • Hoover Dam, AZ/NV
    • Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI
    • Space Needle, WA
    • Plymouth Rock, MA

        2002 hawaii fast lava flow
        Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
        Image: schizoform

        What do you think? Any other places that need to be on the list of must-see locales for family travel?


        Do you have travel-related questions that you want me to answer in my Tips for Traveling with Toddlers and Babies series
        Comment on this post or send me an email.

        7 comments:

        1. such an awesome idea! i have traveled pretty extensively and can't wait to share the travel bug with my son!
          http://inmetaljewelry.blogspot.com/

          ReplyDelete
        2. The Badlands, SD
          New York city
          Carlsbad Caverns
          Graceland
          the Rockies, CO
          that's what we hit this past summer anyway and it was a blast!

          ReplyDelete
        3. Good ones, Alessandra! I was thinking about Graceland too. We went when I was 7 years old and I really liked seeing it. Sounds like you had a great summer!

          ReplyDelete
        4. I would have to add Prince Edward Island, although that's in Canada - it's so beautiful there in the summer. I've awarded you a blog award. Visit http://foranyoccasion.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-award.html to receive the award!

          ReplyDelete
        5. I've wanted to go to Zion National Park for a while now (it's beautiful)- I'd love to do a road trip there with my family!

          I was surprised that Alcatraz made the list...but I guess everyone wants to see it when they come to the bay area (where I live)...there are so many other neat places to visit here...

          I'm also glad you added Hawaii! I loved going there as a kid (and an adult).

          thx for the list!

          ReplyDelete
        6. I've never been to Prince Edward Island or Zion, but I agree that they should be on the list!

          ReplyDelete
        7. Our parents did pretty good huh, we've been to almost all those places!
          Debbi

          ReplyDelete

        I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*