Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The true story of Easter - Resurrection Eggs Tutorial

Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets

We all know that Easter isn't just about eggs, bunnies and baskets... but it can be hard to teach our children the true story of Easter in a way that they can grasp. This year, I decided to make my own "Resurrection Eggs"  to teach Little Sweets the story of Jesus' death and resurrection. You can buy these at Christian book stores or online but they're pretty simple to make yourself! This project is so easy and cheap... most, if not all, of the items are things you already have around your house.


What you need to make your own Resurrection Eggs*:

Supplies for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets

egg carton
12 plastic eggs
list of items and Bible verses
piece of bread
coin(s)
piece of purple cloth or ribbon
thorns from a rose stem
piece of string or rope to represent scourge or whip
cross
nail(s)
sign that says "This is the King of the Jews"
spear or sword (or piece of toothpick)
rock

Total cost: $1.00
Everything but the eggs should be laying around your house somewhere!

*Please note that these are ALL choking hazards for young children. This is meant to be used as a teaching tool not a toy for young children.

First, you'll want to write or print up a list of the items and corresponding Bible verses. Each item represents something that occurred during the week of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. (You can download and print my list here if you'd rather not do it yourself. Mine also includes a sign and a cross.) Tape the list to the inside of your egg carton. You might want to paint the outside of your egg carton so your Little Sweeties don't think that the true story of Easter has anything to do with a certain brand of eggs. =)

Inside Resurrection Egg Carton by SweeterThanSweets

Then, put one item inside each egg, leaving the last one empty.

Opened Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets

To teach your children the true story of Easter, you'll open each egg and read the corresponding Bible verse. (Verses below are all from the New International Version of the Bible.) You could open up one egg per day in the 12 days leading up to Easter, like an advent calendar. Or you could open them all on Good Friday to give the kids time to process the story before Easter Sunday.

Bread for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets
1. Bread
Matthew 26:26
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”


2. Coins
Matthew 26:14-15
Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?” So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver.

Cloth for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets
3. Purple Cloth
Mark 15:17
They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.

Thorn for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets
4. Thorns
Matthew 27:29
...and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said.

5. Scourge
Mark 15:15
Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

6. Cross
John 19:17-18
Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). There they crucified him, and with him two others—one on each side and Jesus in the middle.

Nails for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets
7. Nails
John 20:25
So the other disciples told [Thomas], “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

8. Sign
Luke 23:38
There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

9. Sponge
Matthew 27:48
Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink.

10. Spear/Sword
John 19:34
Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

Rock for Resurrection Eggs by SweeterThanSweets
11. Rock
Matthew 27:59-60
Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.

12. (Nothing)
Matthew 28:6
He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.


That last one is my favorite... nothing tells the true story of Easter better than the Empty Tomb:

Empty Tomb by Kruse Kronicle
Image: KruseKronicle


24 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. I might use it with my Sunday school children (ages 4-7)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for teaching little kids. It's a fun way for them to understand a kind of complex idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great take-home project for Sunday school, Fabric!

    Thanks, Kelly & Paige. I definitely think it's a good teaching tool since it uses something familiar (the eggs) to teach a subject that might even be scary to kids. (But it definitely ends on a high note!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome way to teach the Biblical significance of the holiday through the use of the egg!!! Thanks so very much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Eve! Great etsy shop!! Just favorited your "My Daddy Loves Me Even When I Yell" print. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to make these for my neighbors, but I could never figure out where to get the little do-dads! Thanks for sharing!

    http://kristina-zufall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! This will be a perfect craft to do with my toddler! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    This is great! Come link up at our new SAHM of Etsy Link party!!!

    http://stayathomemomsofetsy.blogspot.com/2011/04/feature-yourself-friday-linky-party-1.html

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tricia!

    So nice stopping by to see this great Easter Story project. I have done something similar in the past with my grandchildren and now you have reminded about it. I think I will use this idea this year as our NY daughter and family will be visiting in a couple of weeks.

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING! At my MOPS meeting this morning, I heard a lady talk about these, and I decided this will be our new family tradition. But I was going to buy them, as I didn't want to just print out pictures to go inside the eggs! Thanks so much for helping out...and you probably didn't even realize it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to look up how to do this today. Your post makes it easy. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've made these to use with Sunday School before. The kids really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that everyone has found this useful... I thought about buying them this year too, then realized I could make them and save a few bucks. Plus I love when my daughter says to me (or to anyone else), "My Mommy made this." =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this. I was going to search for a resurrection egg plan today and I came across yours on One Pretty Thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you found it, Jamie, and thanks for stopping by!

    One Pretty Thing is such a great resource for all things crafty!! Love that site.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you posted this, can't wait to get started on them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bekah, I'm going to be posting a reminder tomorrow to start opening if you're doing one a day until Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THank you so much for posting this! I have been dying to buy reserrection eggs forever but never wanted to pay the price...this is perfect!!! Thanks again :) I'm going to be featuring this on my FB page!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for posting this!!! I shared your link on my blog:www.sugarbugboutique.com!! Happy Easter!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Kelsey and Michelle, for linking! I keep telling friends how easy it is to make them instead of buying them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Easter is one of the holiest event for Catholic like me and I usually include reading easter bible verses on my activities during this time. Thanks for sharing these inspirational verses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Modern urbanites are very busy, busy earning money, busy raising children or busy dating. But people cannot collapse too tightly. You have to learn to relax yourself at the right time. Your personal space is very important. NIKSA foot spa bath massager respects the sense of personal space and is specially designed for each unique you, allowing you to enjoy your leisure time at home easily.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*