Saturday, May 21, 2011

making Great Strides for CF

This past weekend, our family took part in our local Great Strides walk. It was a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) which is now very near and dear to our hearts. Last Fall, we registered for the walk in honor of a friend... Then, a few days before the walk, our newborn nephew was diagnosed with CF. Here is the cutie pie, now 7 months old:

my nephew by SweeterThanSweets

Thanks to our amazing family and friends, we were able to raise over $800 this year!! We feel so blessed to be able to do something so small (walking a 5K) that can hopefully bring blessings to others.

When the CFF representative at the walk told us that our chapter's walk this weekend raised over $10,000, I couldn't stop my tears. It gave me hope that in my nephew's lifetime, we can find a cure for CF. So thank you everyone who gave!!

Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that brings with it a host of lung and digestive issues. Research and awareness of CF has led to HUGE gains in terms of life expectancy: In the 1960s, life expectancy for someone with CF was only 4 years. In 2000, it was 32 years. Now, it's up to 37.4 years and increasing.

If you want to be part of the cure, find a Great Strides walk in your area at http://www.cff.org/great_strides/. Nearly 90 cents of every dollar of revenue raised is invested in vital CF programs to support research, care and education.

4 comments:

  1. Your nephew is gorgeous! CF is a scary thing, but with the great research that's happening these days, hopefully they will continue to make breakthroughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Piper Bella and OfTheFountain. I think he's adorable too but I know I'm biased. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insomnia is very difficult, especially in winter, as long as the feet are not warm, the whole body is cold, no matter how many quilts are covered. Then I started to soak my feet before going to bed. When I put my feet in warm water for a few minutes, it was really comfortable. NIKSA foot bath spaalso has a massage function.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*