Friday, May 6, 2011

Jell-O Fail

If you're a child of the 80s, you should remember this amazing dessert:

Jell-O 1-2-3

Jell-O 1-2-3. One package, three layers of yummy goodness. How do they do it? The secret may be going down with that box that was discontinued many years ago...

I found a recipe on Kraft's website and tried it. Just like a lot of reviewers said, it came out as Jell-O 1-2. No "3". So I tweaked the recipe, and tried again. And tweaked and tried and tweaked and tried. I vowed to give up with my fourth try in 2 weeks.

Then I found a different recipe with powdered creamer and powdered egg whites instead of Cool Whip, so I tried for a fifth time. And guess what I made...

Jell-O 1-2-3 by SweeterThanSweets

That's right, Jell-O 1-2, again! Only this time there was a gritty twist to it, as you can imagine with those ingredients. Unless one of my lovely readers can give me a recipe and promise that it will make that elusive third (regular Jell-O) layer, I am giving up. But more of my attempts at creative cooking will be coming very soon!

I'm still dying to know what the Jell-O 1-2-3 secret is.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I don't think I ever had this jello but it looks cool! Sorry it didn't work out for you! It still looks pretty in your picture :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so remember this! Gritty jello does not have the same appeal I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find the recipe. Wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah jello! I just made rainbow jello for a 3 year old's party- all the kids loved it! who would have known it would be such a hit!?!

    this is the blog where I got the rainbow jello recipe:http://dobetter.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/rainbow-jello/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other than the last (gritty) attempt, the Jell-O 1-2 did taste very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I know this was your FAVORITE...bummer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this stuff. We had it in the house frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh yeah...my favorite tooo! I've often wondered how to duplicate. I can't believe I came across this.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*