Friday, November 4, 2011

How to burn your RSS Feed and set up Subscribe by Email - Tutorial

Pin It  
I finally figured out (with help from other bloggers' tutorials) how to burn my RSS feed and get email subscriptions set up the way all the cool kids do. And I'm going to share it with you so you can do it, too!

RSS Feed for SweeterThanSweets

Now you can subscribe to my blog via email! See the box in the right sidebar underneath all my *awesome Followers? (*hint, hint... Click here to follow SweeterThanSweets!)


Okay now go on and type in your email address so you can get all my posts delivered to your inbox. It's that easy! My favorite part about the email is that the photos show up even bigger than what you're seeing here on my blog. Here's a little sneak peek of what the email looks like:


I've been blogging for 10 months now and until a a short while ago, I knew only the basics about an RSS feed. Previously, I had my RSS feed link to the default url: http://howsweeteritis.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss or http://howsweeteritis.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=atom (change the text in blue to your blog's name if you want to see your default feed).

Now when you click on the RSS icon over on my sidebar, it redirects you to my burned RSS feed, http://feeds.feedburner.com/sweeterthansweets so you can subscribe in your reader of choice if you'd rather not get emails.


If you have your own blog but are completely confused by all this "RSS/burning your feed" talk (like I was a few weeks ago!) here are some tutorials from more tech-savvy people than me. (Remember how I told you how little tech speak I know?) Note: Go through these tutorials in the order provided.

What is RSS?


Technie Mania's RSS Guide for Beginners

FeedBurner FAQ from Google

Now burn that feed!


Technie Mania's Guide to Burning your Feed

or see Lauren Wayne's article on using FeedBurner (specifically, the How section)

another option: this YouTube video tutorial by MsIleneSpeaks

My feed is burned. Now how do I use it?


KludgyMom's overview of how to use FeedBurner (see especially the Publicize section regarding setting up emails)

Lauren Wayne's advanced guide to using FeedBurner (the last part of section #1 regarding Twitter is very helpful)

What is "reach"?


Contentious.com's explanation of what Reach really means

FeedBurner for WordPress


Solutions for WordPress provides instructions for WordPress bloggers


If you know of another helpful tutorial or have any other questions, I'd love to hear from you in the comments. And don't forget to sign up for an email subscription to SweeterThanSweets! =)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I've done this, but I'm not 100% sure it's exactly right. So I'm going to go back over these posts and check.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely need to figure this out! I'm going to send this page to my Desktop for later ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting something about this, I'm a newer blogger so I'm still learning how a lot of this stuff works!

    New follower :)

    Stephanie
    chocolatecoveredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see the techie tuts! One thing that a lot of posts don't mention is to make sure the feed is redirected at the blog source too. The Lauren Wayne blog posts are super thorough!

    For wordpress I use this plugin to redirect the feed: Primary Feedburner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just getting started in blogging and this information is SUPER helpful. Thanks!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already have a RSS feed on my blog, but I think your post will be helpful to lots of people who need this technology. It was very thorough. It's a great post. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for posting this! Spent time today trying to do this very thing and your post is sooooo helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info! I love it when seasoned bloggers share their secrets with us newbies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! But why do you need to do it? There is a blogger widget for subscribing vis email, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I had no idea what I was missing! I was halfway there. I had burned the feed but didn't know how to use it. Lluckily. 51 people still knew how to subscribe but now I too have the cool email option. I always love stats, so now I have another thing to check. Thanks for this great tut!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great resources - thanks for sharing what you have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already have a RSS feed on my blog, but I think your post will be helpful to lots of people who need this technology. It was very thorough. It's a great post. I look forward to seeing your future posts.
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus License Key

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks For This Great and Very Informative Post Share With us....

    Activators 4 Windows Free Activators for Windows

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*