Sunday, March 20, 2011

Let's Out Run CF together!

Today is the Out Run CF Virtual Run -- run anywhere, any length. Just run to help find a cure to Cystic Fibrosis (CF).

Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that brings with it a host of lung and digestive issues. Research and awareness of CF has led to HUGE gains in terms of life expectancy: In the 1960s, life expectancy for someone with CF was only 4 years. In 2000, it was 32 years. Now, it's up to 37.4 years and increasing.

This disease became a part of my life when my perfect, adorable nephew was born last October with CF. I want to be a part of the solution for him and it's clear that we can make a real difference even in our lifetime. Here he is, one of the many faces of CF:


I realize that if you're hearing about Out Run CF for the first time today, you haven't registered online, you don't have a t-shirt, and you don't have sponsors. Who cares? Just run... Run because you can. Run because someone you love has CF. Run because we have come so far in treatment for CF. Run because we have so far still to go.

And while you run, pray for a cure, pray for the researchers, pray for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and most importantly, pray for your loved ones or your friends' loved ones with CF.

If you can't run today (or you can't run at all), register for your local Great Strides walk or check out the Get Involved section of the CFF website to see what you can do.

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely heartfelt post. Your nephew is adorable. I will pray for him and the discovery of a cure for CF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, FabricFascination! I appreciate your comment but more importantly, your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will run!! My nephew Trey has CF also, he's 10 years old and doing great!! Run and pray!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolute CUTIE PIE! I love him! He is lucky to have such a wonderful aunt to champion for him... :) Praying... new follower from the EBT. http://orangiesattic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, I thought about you while I ran (and prayed) today! We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orangies, Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers! I can't get enough of his smiling face in this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a great motivator!
    It's 10:21pm right now and you made me want to get out and run!
    And I don't even run....

    That sounds like a horrible disease. Way too horrible for beautiful little babies to have....

    ReplyDelete
  8. OnePerfectDay--Knowing how far "we" have come with CF research/treatment motivates me to want to do something about it, so I'm glad that can be motivating to others too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca--You're welcome! I'll write more when Great Strides gets closer (our local one is in May but they are all over the country throughout the year!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quick question, are those organization pro-life?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, I am not aware of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation taking stances on anything political or religious. It's a non-profit, donor-supported organization that as far as I know, doesn't make position statements on any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does it support research that uses embryonic stem cells? I know that no non-profit should take a stance on anything political or religious, but they do in what kind of research they support. That's why I'm asking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is said that the global obesity rate is increasing year by year, and obesity is getting younger and younger. Obesity has been medically regarded as a disease, not just a simple body management problem. Obesity can induce many chronic diseases and has extremely bad effects on the body. Don't feel obesity is very close to yourself. When the age gradually increases and the metabolism gradually slows down, people will become apt to become fatter than they were when they were younger. Therefore, it will be better to develop the habit of exercise this morning. NIKSA activewear witnesses your every sweat for health.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*